Something James said earlier made me think.

We have so many more important and pressing matters to attend to than to constantly attack Bush during the most crucial time in our nation's history........I'm telling you right now, I would even support the vile Clinton's if they were still in control.


I have heard this idea before, here and elsewhere, that we should support our President in anything that he does. The justification for this idea is, as I understand it, that we are Americans and shouldn't doubt our leaders. While this is obviously necessary for those in the armed services, this is a ridiculous thought for the rest of us.

In this "most crucial time in our nation's history" (which I'm not too sure about. I think the Civil War was a might bit more crucial) we should be doubting everything our President says and does, especially when much of it flies in the face of our history and constitution.

I've tried to trace where this thought has come from and I have discovered it's source. Yup, that's right, the source of all brilliant contemporary political thought: Britney Spears. Here's what she said:

Honestly, I think we should just trust our president in every decision he makes and should just support that, you know, and be faithful in what happens.


That was shortly after she stated, brilliantly, "Would I (ever kiss a woman) again? No! I would not do it. Maybe with Madonna, but..."

Instead of prescribing to blind obedience, let's hear what Thomas Jefferson said:

“The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.”


When we convince ourselves that we should not question the acts of our leaders we allow ourselves to be mislead. The patriotic thing to do is question, disagree, propose alternatives and doubt our leaders.

5 Comments:

  1. James said...
    You won this battle.....mostly.

    I believe here in the U.S. we should QUESTION everything the President does......I hate the attacking.....but I also love free speech, so Josh wins this one.

    The policy our politicians should use is this: When you're within our borders--bad-talk Uncle Sam and W. all you want, but when you go beyond our shores--it is time for unity. The world needs to know that although we disagree, we are a strong and unified nation.

    The terrorists see how we are not unified...isn't that what their goal was?????

    You know, I know I wouldn't support everything the vile Clintons wanted.....does support mean "being submissive to" or "agreeing with everything" they say. I thought it more of "giving them their due respect" so the world sees our strength. I disagree with almost everything that comes out of Hillary's mouth......I would be vocal about it......but I would refrain from the personal attacks and would support our troops during a time of war.
    James said...
    I guess "the most crucial time in our nation's history" is based on opinion. The worst enemy our nation has ever faced is the radical jihadist. These are people who are not fighting to be left alone.......they are fighting to conquer and purge the world of infidels. 6% of muslims admit that they wish you and I were dead just because we were born. I'm afraid that Democrats do not recognize this threat. What will it take? Another 9/11?
    James said...
    By comparing me to Britney......you weren't thinking about her new hairdo.....were you?
    Josh said...
    I laughed out loud when I read that hairdo comment and got a funny look from the lady in the cubicle next to me.

    James, I would never make fun of your hairdo, OK, almost never. Well, at least not often.

    When I drew your cartoon I even added a little extra hair to compensate.
    Glum said...
    If we question everything the president does, we are assuming it is wrong. I would rather have a rigorous debate about the issues or questions at hand.

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2007| No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.