I've been quiet for a while, and I know you missed me. I'll try to balance out this blog a little more over the weekend.

Like the rest of the country, Monday's events were hard hitting for me. I didn't know a soul at the campus but it still feels so personal. To make things worse, it was my brothers birthday, another reminder of how tragic life can be. I can't even allow myself to comprehend loss on that scale, it is just difficult to wrap my mind around.

I wish we had answers, and pundits are already trying to find them and, in the process, turning a tragedy into a political opportunity. They see a tragedy and use it for an opportunity to spout the party line on gun control. Sad.

Even more sad is what I read on CNN today. 180 people senselessly massacred across Iraq in a series of attacks. It's interesting because I know tomorrow morning there will be few, if any, newspapers that put that news on their front pages. I can't pretend to understand why, but I think it has something to do with our personal detachment (us as a country- not personally) from the worsening situation over there. If 32 people is a tragedy, what is 180 people, and further, why don't we notice it anymore? I am afraid that attacks like this are no longer unexpected but it is no less a tragedy. Everyday children in Iraq are made into orphans, it's just sickening, and it breaks my heart that it is getting worse.

This isn't the most uplifting of posts, sorry. It's just stuff that's been on my mind. James, you should post something uplifting to compensate for my depressing stuff.

3 Comments:

  1. James said...
    coming up with an uplifting post this week is hard.....it's almost distasteful.
    Josh said...
    Hey James, could you email me the number where your wife is staying? Tara's trying to get a hold of her.
    Thanks!
    Glum said...
    Josh,
    This kind of tragedy does make one think of the over all value others place on life. One thing I can say is that I know how important life is and how much you know how important life is and how james knows how important life is. All we can do as help others understand too...

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2007| No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.