Happy Civil Rights Day!

...........Unless you'd prefer me to celebrate a person instead of his cause; in which case, Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

Today, many people are celebrating the event of a black person becoming president. While that shows great strides in the right direction--it is evident America has come a long way, I can't help but be dissatisfied.

I wish people wouldn't pay attention to color at all. Was Obama elected just because he was black? If so, is that progress?

Should today be a blacks-only holiday? Because, that's essentially what it is--coupled with black history month. In America, there seems to be plenty of diversity and discrimination to go around.

I look forward to the day when I'm not seen as a white person and I stop noticing others' color of skin. Is MLK day helping or hindering that from happening? I think the latter, so that's why I'm wishin' ya'all a happy Civil Rights Day.

1 Comment:

  1. Glum said...
    What continues to boggle my mind is the fact that there is still such a big deal being made about Obama being black. Like it means we have ushered in a time only forseen by some amazing prognosticator.

    Civil rights means unalienable rights given equally by the Creator to all men. It doesn't mean one race gets preferential treatment over another. However, the latter statement is mostly how equal rights is interpreted.

    I am glad you wished everyone a Happy Civil Rights Day. In my mind, that is exactly what it is.

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2007| No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.