I understand Romney on this issue. I am also a Mormon who is adamantly against abortion and have been all my life. However, the legality of the issue has always confused me. This, I feel is mostly due to the lack of personal experience regarding the issue and our firm belief that all men and women have been endowed with the inherent rights of freedom to act according to their own consciences. We call this free agency and speak to it often. Four years ago, however I started medical school and I was brought to deal with these issues head on, as I imagine Romney did as Governor dealing with stem cell issues. Recently as I interviewed a patient in the emergency department, I asked what had become of her previous pregnancies. 'Elective abortion' was the reply. This struck me clearly with a profound change of heart. It seemed so routine and casual. It seemed as though there were children that were discarded to prevent a shift in lifestyle or schedule. I can understand a sudden change of heart on this issue. I had the exact feeling that Romney had -- that our culture has dramatically cheapened life. I also felt that it had to change. So to me an experience like Romney's is not too far fetched. In fact I would imagine that the vast majority of pro-lifers could point to an experience of seeing an unborn on ultrasound moving, or another experience as motivating them in their pro-life stance. So I believe that the pro-life movement could accept Romney with welcoming arms, as he represents all of us.

--Andrew

1 Comment:

  1. Josh said...
    Good to have you Andrew! If you want I can send you an invite so you can post your own entries to the blog.

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2007| No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.