Religious Persecution?

As much as I disapprove of polygamy and the FLDS church in general, I am hugely disappointed in the government of Texas.

416 children taken from their homes and put into "suitable" foster care. As imperfect as I am, I'd like to see someone try to take my Paige away.

They haven't found the 16 year old who called the authorities. Shouldn't finding her be a priority before you scare the crap out of 416 kids who have never known anything different?

Texas has justified taking those children even if they haven't been abused, because they are all in danger of it. Hmm........I have a better idea--let's go to downtown Miami or Fort Lauderdale and start taking children from their homes because they are in danger of drug abuse, violence, and poor educational opportunities. After all, they might not be harmed right now, but there's definately a chance of it.

I'm sickened by the Baptist buses used to haul the children off (the National Guard doesn't have buses?). I guess the saving of souls should be smiled upon, but Osama Bin Laden recruits by the same method. I hope this isn't a religious crusade, but a lawful endeavor to protect children.

Personally, I don't care if people practice polygamy, but the marrying of children has got to stop. I agree with the law authorities in this regard. Now give the kids back to their mothers!

6 Comments:

  1. Glum said...
    I agree with you my Staffy. I guarantee you that if a Muslim was practicing polygamy, there wouldn't even be as much as a question regarding taking those children, for fear of offending the religion. If there are legitimate issues like abuse of any sort, that is a different story. I thought our judicial system was one of assuming innocence until guilt is PROVEN. There are a lot of assumptions happening with this right now.

    Sure the practice of marrying teenagers isn't right, but when that is all the child knows, there has to be some kind of consideration for that instead of just yanking them from all they know.

    Just my two cents...
    James said...
    Good two cents Staffy. You know, it's been a week.......has the government or media helped clear up anything yet in your opinion?
    Josh said...
    I hate to say it guys but in this case I think somebody has to take action. Yes, it is an absolute tragedy that this many kids have been seperated from their families but if you thumb your nose at the law and systematically marry off teenagers in a closed society, well, that's just not gonna fly in this country.

    As for speculating whether or not CPS would have taken the children if it had been a Muslim group is beside the point, naive and wrong. If there ever were a group of 6,000 polygynous Muslims in a compound in Texas, they would all be enjoying a long vacation somewhere near Cuba.

    Is it a horrible thing? Yup. But that's what you get for waving your disregard for justice in the face of the law and making a habit of marrying off little girls.
    James said...
    Josh, couldn't disagree with you more.

    Some evidence before we set up a concentration camp would be useful.

    We're talking of innocent lives. Have we declared war on polygamists?

    I'm sorry, but guilty by association isn't the way our justice system works.

    I could argue this further, but frankly, I'm worn out......I yelled at some students today who were rejoicing at Texas' crackdown (I had the whole lab's attention). I'm emotionally spent on this subject.......and I'm still fuming about the Baptist buses.
    James said...
    I shouldn't say that I yelled at the students.....I was just making my case passionately and loud enough for all to hear.

    I also made sure to make the distinction between our church and the FLDS church. Some ignorant chap thought I was defending my religion....geez, and I've known him for 3 years now.

    Yeah, this is doing wonders for our church's PR.

    Let me be perfectly clear that I am in total agreement with the law taking action against teenage marriages.
    The Bowles said...
    I have to say that I do mind if people practice polygamy because many people think that it is members of the LDS church and not the FLDS church doing it. They think we are one and the same. it does give us horrible PR and shuts doors and creates fear in people about our religion.
    As for the kids and CPS, having worked for and with CPS for a long time, I learned several things. CPS itself (at least in Arizona) does not want to remove children from homes. They want to preserve families and they simply don't have places to put kids. This decision to remove all of these kids was obviously from the higher-ups in government who wanted to show that they were doing something for political reasonsand the buses...either the only thing they could find to transport the kids OR an intentional move to shove religion down someone's throat- you decide.
    I hope that the plan is to return the kids as soon as possible. I hate to say it but a lot of emotional and psyhological damage has now been inflicted upon those kids from the government, not their parents!

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2007| No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.